Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [org-babel] Does org-babel needs some simplification?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:28:55 -0500

Hello!

<snip>

Whenever I come back to org-babel, it takes me a huge amount of time to
find myself back again in the syntax. Often I spend a day or two heavily
reading the website and manual again to figure out how to make it working.

There are so many options. tangle files, results, scripting mode,
sessions, noweb, lot, etc.

Just yesterday, I fighted again to make a simple python script running
as desired to generate an automatic report. I did this dozen of times
and even by using some old report as template I still struggle with it.
Comparing old reports I noticed that I did it in many different ways.
Tangeling all snipplets, using noweb syntax, with and without session
support, etc.

<snip>

I have not used it for Python, but for R coding I've found it incredibly intuitive. However, that might be because R has long supported literate programming through Sweave, complete with noweb syntax and code tangling.

I personally don't think it's too complex. One thing that could help is a gentle introduction written by users of each language that babel supports. I have started something like that with R already on my blog, see http://blogisticreflections.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/introduction-to-using-r-with-org-babel-part-1/

I think the best thing to do is to figure out a system that works for you, and document it (in org-mode of course!) so that there are notes the next time you come back to the file, or need to produce a new file.

Of course, the authors of babel might have plans to somehow simplify syntax, but I just wanted to point out that, like anything, with some repetition, you can commit the main ideas to memory and then consult the manual when needed. I found that spending a couple hours running all the possible options in the manual with R while taking notes went a long way in helping me understand how it it all works.

Best Regards,
Erik