Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Matthew Lundin
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:53:13 -0400

Hi Carsten,

Thanks so much both for thinking this through. And thanks again, Eric,
for your work in integrating org-babel into org-mode---including taking
into account a humble user's concerns! :)

> Here is what I propose (several items are similar to what Eric proposes)
>
> 1. A new variable org-turn-on-babel.  We can discuss the default.
>    If it is nil, org-babel should not be loaded.
>    A default of t would be fine with me if we implement other
>    measures listed below.

I think the default should be t, but I also like giving users the option
of not loading org-babel.

> 2. As Eric proposes, a variable similar to org-confirm-shell-link-
> function
>    This should by default query for confirmation on any org-babel
>    code execution, and can be configured to shut up by people who know
>    what they are doing.
>
> 3. Not loading emacs lisp evaluation by default.
>
> 4. A new key in the babel keymap for org-babel-execute-code-block,
>    for example `C-c C-v e'.  This should be documented as the default
>    key for this operation.
>
> 5. Removing org-babel-execute-code-block from `C-c C-c'.  Inclusion
>    should be optional.
>
> 6. A section in the manual on code execution and associated security
>    risks in Org mode.  This is not only about babel, but also about
>    org-eval, org-eval-light, shell links and elisp links.  I have meant
>    to write this section for a long time and would be willing to
>    draft it. We could then refer to this section from a couple of
>    places in the docs, without cluttering the docs with disclaimers.

With safeguards with 2, 4, 5, and 6, would it be safe to skip #3 and
load emacs-lisp evaluation by default? The primary risk right now is
that C-c C-c is so easy to press. But if we change the keybinding and
add a default warning, I believe the emacs-lisp evaluation would not
pose undue dangers. After all, emacs already makes it easy to evaluate
emacs-lisp code. IMO, other languages are a bit more dangerous, since
they are "out of context" in an org-mode document---i.e., one is not
necessarily as cautious about the pitfalls of executing shell commands,
perl code, etc. as one is when using the command line or executing a
script.

Best,
Matt