Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:24:45 +0200

On Jun 30, 2010, at 2:53 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

Hi Carsten,

Thanks so much both for thinking this through. And thanks again, Eric,
for your work in integrating org-babel into org-mode---including taking
into account a humble user's concerns! :)

Here is what I propose (several items are similar to what Eric proposes)

1. A new variable org-turn-on-babel.  We can discuss the default.
  If it is nil, org-babel should not be loaded.
  A default of t would be fine with me if we implement other
  measures listed below.

I think the default should be t, but I also like giving users the option
of not loading org-babel.

2. As Eric proposes, a variable similar to org-confirm-shell-link-
function
  This should by default query for confirmation on any org-babel
  code execution, and can be configured to shut up by people who know
  what they are doing.

3. Not loading emacs lisp evaluation by default.

4. A new key in the babel keymap for org-babel-execute-code-block,
  for example `C-c C-v e'.  This should be documented as the default
  key for this operation.

5. Removing org-babel-execute-code-block from `C-c C-c'.  Inclusion
  should be optional.

6. A section in the manual on code execution and associated security
  risks in Org mode.  This is not only about babel, but also about
org-eval, org-eval-light, shell links and elisp links. I have meant
  to write this section for a long time and would be willing to
  draft it. We could then refer to this section from a couple of
  places in the docs, without cluttering the docs with disclaimers.

With safeguards with 2, 4, 5, and 6, would it be safe to skip #3 and
load emacs-lisp evaluation by default? The primary risk right now is
that C-c C-c is so easy to press. But if we change the keybinding and
add a default warning, I believe the emacs-lisp evaluation would not
pose undue dangers.

I agree.

After all, emacs already makes it easy to evaluate
emacs-lisp code. IMO, other languages are a bit more dangerous, since
they are "out of context" in an org-mode document---i.e., one is not
necessarily as cautious about the pitfalls of executing shell commands,
perl code, etc. as one is when using the command line or executing a
script.

Yes.  Emacs Lisp is of course just as dangerous as the shell or
anything else when it comes to malicious intent, but for running
code by mistake it is much less dangerous than the shell,
because usually elisp code deals with stuff inside Emacs
and not so much on the system.

- Carsten