Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [ANN] Org-babel integrated into Org-mode
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:25:39 -0700

Hi Carsten, Matt, Scott,

> Hi Matt, hi Eric,
>
> Matt, thanks a lot for bringing this up.  This is indeed a very
> important and serious issue.  We need to address it.  We need to
> step back and reconsider this carefully.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think that Org Babel should give
> you enough rope to hang yourself.  But we have to make sure that
> this will not happen to a happy and unsuspecting Org mode, or even
> an unsuspecting Emacs user who by chance opens a file with extension
> .org.
>
> I remember very well when  first realized that shell links could
> really affect you badly.  It scared me.
>
> You main proposal was to make Org Babel an optional module.
> This will not solve the problem fully, I think, because we also
> don't want that people who turn it on automatically commit
> to potentially dangerous operations.  There is a lot of good stuff
> in Babel which has nothing to do with code evaluation.
>
> Here is what I propose (several items are similar to what Eric proposes)
>
> 1. A new variable org-turn-on-babel.  We can discuss the default.
>    If it is nil, org-babel should not be loaded.
>    A default of t would be fine with me if we implement other
>    measures listed below.

This sounds like a good idea to me, and it should address Matt's desire
for enabling minimal Org-mode installs.  I would like this to default to
t, so that new users can try out Org-babel without overmuch effort.

> 2. As Eric proposes, a variable similar to org-confirm-shell-link-
>    function
>    This should by default query for confirmation on any org-babel
>    code execution, and can be configured to shut up by people who know
>    what they are doing.

Sounds good, I think this is a reasonable safety measure.

> 3. Not loading emacs lisp evaluation by default.

I would push back on this point.  Largely because we have now crossed
the like to where it is impossible to play with a code block w/o first
dropping down to your configuration files, and evaluating require
statements.

> 4. A new key in the babel keymap for org-babel-execute-code-block,
>    for example `C-c C-v e'.  This should be documented as the default
>    key for this operation.

Hmm, I'm less enthusiastic about this point and point 5.  I really like
how 'C-c C-c' naturally does whatever-I-want given the context in which
it's called, and I wouldn't want to lose that intuitiveness.  Similarly
'C-c C-o' currently opens the results of a code block, I also find this
very appealing as it allows for a uniform top-level interface across an
Org-mode document, be it a code block or a link.

Here are my reasons why I think leaving this keybinding is safe.

1) Unlike with shell/elisp links, the contents of code blocks is almost
   always visible right under the user's point.  So it is less likely to
   evaluate something w/o having any idea what you are evaluating.

2) Adding a protection variable (e.g. org-confirm-babel-eval) means that
   the only users who could potentially evaluate a code block with a
   slip of the fingers would be users who have explicitly said that they
   want to be able to easily run code blocks without confirmation.

3) Emacs exposes a number of entry points into code evaluation.  M-!
   allows users to run shell commands, C-M-x evaluate the elisp at
   point, and these have not caused problems in the past.

> 5. Removing org-babel-execute-code-block from `C-c C-c'.  Inclusion
>    should be optional.
>
> 6. A section in the manual on code execution and associated security
>    risks in Org mode.  This is not only about babel, but also about
>    org-eval, org-eval-light, shell links and elisp links.  I have meant
>    to write this section for a long time and would be willing to
>    draft it. We could then refer to this section from a couple of
>    places in the docs, without cluttering the docs with disclaimers.

This sounds like a very good idea.  I'd be happy to help write such a
section.

> The reason for 4 and 5 is that I believe Org-mode users are trained
> to blindly press `C-c C-c' whenever they want to update something at
> point.  Matt's example of a blog post about `rm -rf' is a very
> realistic example for bad code being evaluated by mistake, not even
> due to malicious cations.  I belive that a special key for this
> action would gove a good measure of protection.

As I mentioned, I personally feel that an org-confirm-babel-eval
variable is sufficient protection.  I think it's safe to assume that if
a user has explicitly customized that variable, then they know what
they're doing and trust themselves to execute code responsibly.  I think
it's likely that the casual Org-babel user would never customize this
variable, which seems to me entirely appropriate.

> This is what I think - please let me know if you think I am overdoing
> it.

So to summarize, I think that the combination of (1), (2) and (6),
should be sufficient to protect users from accidental code evaluation.
Please let me know what you think, I am of course looking to compromise
and I fully understand that the general consensus may be that we need
more layers of protection.

Best -- Eric