Re: [Orgmode] tabular logging of values in habits and other repeating ta

From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] tabular logging of values in habits and other repeating tasks
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 23:06:48 +0200

What I though is something like the task below
* TODO Running
  :PROPERTIES:
  :STYLE:    habit
  :END:

  | Date             | Place            | Distance |
  |------------------+------------------+----------|
  | [2010-07-03 Sáb] | Park Something   | 6km      |
  | [2010-07-05 Seg] | Some other place | 5km      |

You then create a template that adds a line after the hline in the
table. That way the most recent completed task would be in the top.

Whenever you do the task you call org-capture with the template to add a
new line to the table and then mark the task as done. It is true that
adding the line and marking the task as done are not a "single thing", but
with org-capture you can add a line to the table from any buffer without
needing to go until the task heading and the table keeps everything more
organized.

Also, you can give this table a name and do whatever you want with it using
org babel super powers. You could easily calculate the mean distance that
you run, the variance, maybe even plot the distances that you run in each
day (there is probably a way to use the inactive timestamps as values for
the x axis). This would not be possible if you store the information as
notes in the task.

--
Darlan