Re: [Orgmode] Re: Columns with LaTeX beamer export

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Columns with LaTeX beamer export
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:01:25 +0200

On Jul 7, 2010, at 8:52 AM, Tassilo Horn wrote:

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 22:47:35 Eric S Fraga wrote:

Hi Eric,

* My 2 Column Frame
 :PROPERTIES:
 :BEAMER_env: columns
 :BEAMER_col: 0.5 0.5
 :END:

 - left col text
 - more left col text

 - right col text
 - more right col text

I'm sorry Tassilo but I do not understand your point.  Lists are not
part of an outline structure so there is only one outline component in
this example.

Yes, that's exactly the point I don't understand in the paragraph

 "Columns *without* additional outline structure"

in the org-tutorials/org-beamer.org file in Worg. This headline implies
(to me) that I can have a slide with many columns but no outline
structure, except the headline for the frame itself.

It states, that adding the :BEAMER_env: columns property to a slide
heading will open a new columns and a column environment, and the end of the slide will close all open environments. But it doesn't tell me how to close a column and start a new one without adding additional outline
structure.

So that paragraph should be made a bit clearer and include an example.
Maybe you can only have a columns environment with only one single
column, if you don't add an extra outline structure?  Would that make
sense? Or maybe the wording of the headline is only misleading, and the
author had another intention than what I am reading.  Well, I don't
know...

Hi Tassilo,

the only way to understand this paragraph is historical.

In the early days of BEAMER export, Eric Fraga invented a way to make columns using an additional level of outline structure, just for making the columns.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/19895/focus=19895

This worked, but made it difficult to export this file in
any other way, because of the extra structure.  This was overcome
with the BEAMER_col property, and this is what this paragraph
and the phrase "without additional structure" is referring to.

The "tutorial" I wrote on worg is out of date and bad, maybe we should remove it? Does someone (Eric Fraga?) have time to check if there is anything interesting in there that is is still true and not covered by the manual or by Eric's
tutorial?  If not, we should remove this outdated document.

If it adds something, maybe we can move that information?

If that is done, maybe we should remove this document.

Thanks

- Carsten

Bye,
Tassilo