[Orgmode] How to setup xdg for org-protocol ?

From: Julien Fantin
Subject: [Orgmode] How to setup xdg for org-protocol ?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 15:44:20 +0200

I've been struggling this morning trying to get org-protocol setup on my linux box (via http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php)

I can't get a web-browser to register org-protcol with emacsclient, as I'm not using a desktop environment (plain startx and openbox), I'm pretty sure this is an xdg config issue.
However, despite reading through the specs I couldn't fathom the proper settings.

In chromium, the external application comes up, and calls xdg-open org-protocol://subprotocol/... which ends up firing a new chromium frame

In firefox, I've tried setting network.protocol-handler.app.org-protocol to an empty string or my emacsclient path, anyhow I get the following error message :
"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (org-protocol) isn't associated with any program" without showing any external application selection  dialog.

Has anyone already adressed this ?

Cheers