[Orgmode] Re: Agenda view > Face for deadlines > PATCH

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Agenda view > Face for deadlines > PATCH
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:02:25 +0200

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> On May 21, 2010, at 9:43 AM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban wrote:

>>> I was so disturbed by this, and have always wanted to become (and still
>>> wants) enlightened in Emacs Lisp and in Org's code that I finally took the
>>> time to try and understand how all this works.
>>>
>>> Not easy for me, I must admit. Cannot say I can follow the code, either,
>>> because of lack of knowledge, on ELisp and on how to trace through the
>>> code.
>>>
>>> Though, I've been able to answer my own demand, by [...] changing one line
>>> of `org-agenda.el' (L4619, function `org-agenda-get-deadlines'):
>>>
>>>             (org-add-props txt props

>>>             (org-add-props-from-2 txt props
>>>
>>> Maybe that can be factored (much, much) more smartly?
>>>
>>> Can this be patched against the source code?
>>
>> After applying my patch, and playing a bit more with the results, I
>> observed that entering RET on such lines (where the 2 first characters are
>> not highlighted anymore) does not work anymore: "command not allowed on
>> this line".
>>
>> Is there someone more knowledgeable than I am that could help?
>
> `props' contains a text property with the marker that points to the origin of
> this entry.  Org tries to find this property at the  beginning of the line and
> does not find it.
>
> You would have to apply all properties to the full line, then remove the face
> property from the first two characters.
>
> However, I am not sure if this will work, because when one of these lines
> changes, Org might spread the text properties again over the  full line.  But
> maybe it will be OK, try it out.

I'm really not knowledgeable about faces, text properties, overlays, and so
on.

Though, I tried two things, on line 4636 of `org-agenda.el':

(let ((ov (make-overlay 0 2)))
  (overlay-put ov 'face  (list :background "white"))
  (overlay-put ov 'evaporate t))

Nothing changed. The first 2 characters of every line still display the
background face of the deadlines (red, orange or green, depending on urgency).

Next try (replacing the above):

(set-text-properties 0 2 nil txt)

Here, the background color of the first 2 characters is... white, as I want.
Though, "org-agenda-error: Command not allowed in this line" when clicking on
such a line...

Solution still to be found... Anybody having an hint. I am willing to try to
solve this.

Best regards,
  Seb

--