[Orgmode] cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs

From: Mike Benfield
Subject: [Orgmode] cdlatex, previewing LaTeX, and dollar signs
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 17:55:29 +0000 (UTC)

org-cdlatex-mode subverts cdlatex's normal behavior
 in that it doesn't give dollar signs when they're not there.
And on the other hand, org-preview-latex-fragment only displays
rendered LaTeX when the dollar signs are there. I don't know
what other people's usage pattern is, but I read my notes in
emacs with the LaTeX rendered, so I never write LaTeX
outside of dollar signs because that is useless to me.

Could one or the other of these behaviors change?

For me, the ideal situation would be for org-preview-latex-fragment
 to work even when dollar signs aren't present, so that for instance
 \int_a^b f would render \int_a^b as LaTeX math and leave f alone.
(By the way, right now such an expression renders correctly when
 exporting to HTML but not when exporting to LaTeX.)