Re: [Orgmode] installing updating Org on other platform

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] installing updating Org on other platform
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:16:14 -0500

Hi,

I'm not on Win XP, but just wanted to ask for clarification as it might help others help you...

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Adam <address@hidden> wrote:
To install, I downloaded the 6.36c zip, and copied all and only the
/lisp/*.el  files into the folder ~/Emacs/Lisp/org.

Can you define what ~ stands for above? For example:
- Linux typically = /home/username/
- Mac typically = /Users/username/
- Win = ???
--- Doing a 'dir ~' from the prompt yielded 'Volume in drive C has no label' or cd ~ yields 'The system cannot find the path specified'

I notice that in  .emacs  the entry
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/lisp/org")

or as I first had it,
(add-to-list 'load-path "C:/emacs/org-6.36c")

neither have any effect.   It seems Emacs will find Org in ~/emacs/lisp/org no
matter what.  Only  (require 'org)  is present in my  .emacs  and then
some Org settings.

This might be extremely minute, but the GNU Emacs FAQ includes a trailing slash in the instructions on how to add directories to one's load path via .emacs [1]:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/dir/subdir/")

Not sure if that will help you at all. Primarily I'd focus on making sure ../emacs/org[-6.36c] is where you think it is? Not to come across as insulting... just never hurts to be sure!

[1] See 5.17 here: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.html

Any comments appreciated.