Re: [Orgmode] programming for org-mode

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] programming for org-mode
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:53:14 -0700

Hi Nick,

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

>> If you are going to do any serious work with lisp, I would emphatically
>> recommend using paredit-mode, and becoming friends with the Sexp
>> movement functions
>> +--------------------------------------------+
>> | C-M-f | runs the command paredit-forward   |
>> |-------+------------------------------------|
>> | C-M-b | runs the command paredit-backward  |
>> |-------+------------------------------------|
>> | C-M-u | runs the command backward-up-list  |
>> |-------+------------------------------------|
>> | C-M-k | runs the command kill-sexp         |
>> |-------+------------------------------------|
>> | C-y   | runs the command yank              |
>> +--------------------------------------------+
>>
>> They allow you to manipulate lisp code on the level of logical
>> expressions, the utility of which can not be over stated.
>>

> I presume that paredit is useful because it's a minor mode, so you can
> enable it on an org-mode buffer (e.g. using babel).

No, even for emacs-lisp code blocks I use C-c ' to edit the code in
emacs-lisp mode.  I do have "[" and "]" globally bound to
`insert-parenthesis' and `move-past-close-and-reindent' respectively,
but that's probably a little too radical for most users.

I only enable paredit minor-mode in lispy modes.

> But if you are editing a .el file, then emacs-lisp mode provides all
> these facilities (C-M-f -> forward-sexp, etc.) and you don't need
> paredit.  Do I have that right?

Not quite,

Paredit has a number of nice features aside from sexp movement,
including /electric/ insertion of both open and close parenthesis,
brackets and quotation's which greatly increase the speed with which one
can write lisp code -- all the while ensuring that the code in the
buffer is /valid/ in terms of balanced parenthesis.

Cheers -- Eric