[Orgmode] ms-exchange invitation --> org-mode appointment

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: [Orgmode] ms-exchange invitation --> org-mode appointment
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 13:45:15 +0300

Hi all,

At work we have the typical MS-Exchange setup for mail and agenda. Only
Outlook as a client is a first-class citizen in this setup, but since there
are many non-Outlook users, mail can also be accessed using IMAP, and
appointments are turned into emails with hyperlinks to access them in
Outlook-WebAccess in a web browser.

Personally, I like to use org-mode for my planning, and I needed to manually
make org-TODO's for the corresponding Outlook events. However, attached find
an attempt at automating this. The idea is that it extracts the information
from the Exchange-emails I get and turn that into an org-TODO, using
org-capture. It's quite trivial, but I've found it useful for me - hopefully
it's useful for others as well.

Note, the code makes the assumption there's a line like:
 "When: 09 July, 2010 10:00-11:00 (GMT+02:00) Helsinki, ..."
I'm not sure what varieties exist in the wild, I'd be happy to update the
regexps. (Maybe there are translations of 'When'? Or am/pm clocks?)

Anyway, it works like this: you select (mark) the parts of the email you want
to add to your org-todo item, and then invoke:
   M-x org-exchange-capture-invitation
after that, 'org-capture' should handle the rest, provided you have something
like
      ("E" "ExchangeInvite" entry
      (file+headline "todo.org" "Invites")
       "* TODO %c\n")

in your org-capture-templates (something that has 'E' as the key, and takes a
"%c")

Note, this is in the early at-least-it-works-for-me stages, the elisp is a bit
ugly, it requires org-capture etc.; suggestions/improvements are very welcome;
see the notes in the source file.

Best wishes,
Dirk.

Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:address@hidden           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl
pgp: D09C E664 897D 7D39 5047 A178 E96A C7A1 017D DA3C