Re: [Orgmode] links and ID properties

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] links and ID properties
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 15:06:12 +0200

On Jul 14, 2010, at 7:50 PM, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

In addition to using org-mode for scheduling and email integration and
all that, I've had great success setting up a translation environment
I'm finally pleased with. I keep vocabulary items in a separate file,
and then create links from vocabulary items into the actual text I'm
translating.

I've switched computers recently and in the process something has gone
wrong with the vocab links. So far as I know, org-link-to-org-use-id has always had its default value of create-if-interactive-and-no-custom- id,
but now calling org-store-link no longer creates an ID property on the
target headline (there's no custom id).

It does for me.

Furthermore, the following the links from the text back into the
vocabulary file won't find the right targets: following links that I
created before I moved computers (when it still created the ID property)
say "no match" for the link (though the ID value is correct for both
target and link), and new links I've made (where no ID is created), just
find the top of the vocabulary file, not the actual vocabulary item (a
heading) within the file.

Storing links to a particular vocab item creates a link entry like this:

file:~/Documents/text/vocab.org::* (综合二处)

That particular text is a third-level heading, but following this link
just puts me at the top of the file.

I was using the git head version of org on both the old machine and this one, but now I'm using emacs 23.2, where I was using emacs 24. The vocab
file is in the same directory as the text file, but none of these are
org agenda files. I don't know what else might be causing this problem!

First of all, I suspect that maybe you are not running the version of Org-mode you think you are.
What does M-x org-version return?

Second, you can try to recreate the file that links IDs to files. Just load
all the relevant Org files into Emacs and then run

M-x org-id-update-id-locations RET

Does this help?

- Carsten

----

On a semi-related topic, I've seen a couple of threads here recently
about using links to pull content from other places into the file
containing the links -- presumably something that would happen upon
export. I think something along these lines could be very useful -- in
my case I could choose a final translation of a certain term after all
the text is translated, then when I export the text, the proper English
translation is substituted into all locations that link to that term.
This could also be used to create "master files" that pull in content
from other places: importing subtrees, or creating \input or \include
statements in the case of LaTeX export.

Presumably this would involve a new link type (say "include") that
points to a file or heading. When the org file is exported, that file or heading would be dragged in to replace the link text. If the heading to be included had a special property (say "INCLUDE_AS"), the value of that
property would be included instead of the text of the heading.

Anyway, this is just a possibilty -- perhaps it can already be done! I'd
be interested in hearing what people think.

Thanks,
Eric