[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:11:26 +0200

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>
writes:

Hi Sébastien,

>>> Even if feasable, doing your way seems to add a layer of complexity
>>> to the installation... Would you have config to share, would I go
>>> that way?
>>
>> Sure, but be aware that I don't use that setup anymore.
>
> Thanks a lot for the detailed information you provided us with... But
> may I ask what's your current setup, then (did I miss that information
> in your previous posts?)...

Sure.  Now I use Gnus only for newsgroups and KMail (with emacs(client)
as editor and a custom message-mode derived mode) for mails.

For the completeness, here's the mode:

(defvar th-kmail-tmp-file-regexp "\\(kontact\\|kmail\\).*\\.tmp$"
  "Regexp that matches the file names of kmail's temporary files.")

(defun kmail-save-message-and-exit ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-char 0)
  (forward-line 1)
  (delete-region 1 (point))
  (save-buffer)
  (server-edit))

(define-derived-mode kmail-mode message-mode "KMail"
  "Major mode for editing mails from kmail.
\\{kmail-mode-map}"
  (goto-char 0)
  (insert "--text follows this line--\n")
  (define-key kmail-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-c") 'kmail-save-message-and-exit)
  (define-key kmail-mode-map (kbd "C-c #")   'kmail-save-message-and-exit))

(add-hook 'kmail-mode-hook 'th-message-mode-init)

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist
             (cons th-kmail-tmp-file-regexp 'kmail-mode))

(add-to-list 'recentf-exclude th-kmail-tmp-file-regexp)

> And why did you stop using it?

I gave up on my offlineimap/dovecot/gnus combo (I used happily many
years) because I frequently subscribe to mailinglists for only a short
period of time, and this didn't work out too well with offlineimap.

And I like being able to restrict the message list incrementally by
simply entering parts of the author name or subject.  Gnus cannot do
that.  But I think there's a anything-source for that right now, but for
me it came a bit too late.

> Once again, thanks a lot for the precious help you give me/us.

I'm happy for being useful. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo