[Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Behavior of Gnus when called from an hyperlink
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:12:54 +0200

David Maus <address@hidden> writes:

Hi David,

>>I'm not sure, but I think the gnus registry caches message-ids and
>>other information.  Maybe, that could speed things up a bit.
>
> After toying arround with Gnus at the weekend: Yes, there is .overview
> in ~/News/agent/nnimap/<host>/<mailbox>/ that contains UIDs and (among
> others) the message-id header.  However it seems like there is no
> function in gnus-cache.el to query the UID ("message number") for a
> given message-id.

If that is true, I'd go and ask the Gnus devs for the reason.  Maybe in
most cases querying the server is faster than processing the .overview
file...

> A hacky solution could be to do the lookup manually in org-gnus.el: If
> the backend is nnimap and this cache file exists and a customization
> variable `org-gnus-foo' is set, open the file and try to find the UID
> for this message-id.

Well, as a last resort that could be done, but I'm in favor of
delegating the issue to the Gnus devs.  The problem will bite you in
normal Gnus usage, too.  (Ok, at least when searching for/restricting
with a given message id.  Scoring is also a candidate using
message-ids.)

Do you want to raise a question at address@hidden, or should I do this
evening?

Bye,