[Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:17:40 +0530

With reference to my earlier post,
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2010-07/msg01060.html)

I would like to add the following clarification.

> #+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS:
> [a4paper,parskip=full,backaddress=off,foldmarks=off,jambu]

All the styling and context-specific information comes from 'jambu' in
the LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS line. In this case, jambu is 'an lco file'
that in turn loads DIN.lco. (The later file comes with the standard
distribution)

The patch as such doesn't bother with the styling elements but merely
transforms content from org to scrlttr2 form. To illustrate,

* subject
  Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2

section in org gets transformed in the final letter into the following
TeX form.

\setkomavar{subject} {
\label{sec-2}
  Sub:- Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2

}

This is done as part of org-scrlttr2-sectioning defun in my earlier
patch.

Jambunathan K.

---> Input Org file <---

#+TITLE:
#+AUTHOR:
#+EMAIL:
#+LANGUAGE:
#+TEXT:

#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS:
[a4paper,fromalign=right,pagenumber=headmiddle,parskip=full,fromphone=true,fromfax=false,fromrule=false,fromemail=true,subject=afteropening,backaddress=off,foldmarks=off,jambu]

#+LaTeX_CLASS: scrlttr2

* letter
  Org Mode User Group \\
  World Wide Web

* subject
  Sub:- Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2

* opening
  Dear Org Mode Users

* body
  Lately, I have been composing formal letters using KOMA script's
  sscrlttr2. I found it convenient to have them composed from within
  org-mode.

  I am enclosing the initial set of changes needed to compose some
  simple letters as this one.

  The only change that is too 'intrusive' seems to be an extra newline
  which gets added immediately after the emission of labels. These
  extra newlines trigger syntax errors in the closing{} and encl{}
  directives.

  I think rest of the changes could be squeeed in through existing
  hooks.

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
-         (insert (mapconcat (lambda (l) (format "\\label{%s}" l))
-                            label-list "\n") "\n"))
+           (insert (mapconcat (lambda (l) (format "\\label{%s}" l))
+                              label-list "\n")))
#+END_EXAMPLE

  If there is some general interest, I could work on making a formal
  patch available.

* closing
  Yours Truly

* encl
  Patch from my work-area.

---> Output Tex file <---

% Created 2010-07-26 Mon 23:19
\documentclass[a4paper,fromalign=right,pagenumber=headmiddle,parskip=full,fromphone=true,fromfax=false,fromrule=false,fromemail=true,subject=afteropening,backaddress=off,foldmarks=off,jambu]{scrlttr2}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{fixltx2e}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{longtable}
\usepackage{float}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\usepackage{soul}
\usepackage{t1enc}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{hyperref}
\tolerance=1000
\usepackage{pdfpages}
\providecommand{\alert}[1]{\textbf{#1}}

\title{}
\author{}
\date{26 July 2010}

\begin{document}

\begin{letter} {
\label{sec-1}
  Org Mode User Group \\
  World Wide Web

}

\setkomavar{subject} {
\label{sec-2}
  Sub:- Composing letters using org-mode and scrlttr2

}

\opening {
\label{sec-3}
  Dear Org Mode Users
}

\label{sec-4}
  Lately, I have been composing formal letters using KOMA script's
  sscrlttr2. I found it convenient to have them composed from within
  org-mode.

  I am enclosing the initial set of changes needed to compose some
  simple letters as this one.

  The only change that is too `intrusive' seems to be an extra newline
  which gets added immediately after the emission of labels. These
  extra newlines trigger syntax errors in the closing\{\} and encl\{\}
  directives.

  I think rest of the changes could be squeeed in through existing
  hooks.

\begin{verbatim}
-         (insert (mapconcat (lambda (l) (format "\\label{%s}" l))
-                            label-list "\n") "\n"))
+           (insert (mapconcat (lambda (l) (format "\\label{%s}" l))
+                              label-list "\n")))
\end{verbatim}

  If there is some general interest, I could work on making a formal
  patch available.

\closing {
\label{sec-5}
  Yours Truly