[Orgmode] include value of single table cell in text?

From: Austin Frank
Subject: [Orgmode] include value of single table cell in text?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 04:45:22 -0400

Hello!

Is it possible to include the value of a single cell from an org-mode
table in the body of an org-mode document? That is, given

#+TBLNAME:  test-table
| key | value |
|-----+-------|
| a   |     1 |
| b   |     2 |

Is there any way to refer to cell @2$2 within the text of an org-mode
document, and have that reference converted to the value "2" during
export?

I believe one approach would be to use babel's in-line source evaluation
capabilities along with the remote() function from the org spreadsheet
editor.  But I haven't yet been able to identify the right combination
of those functions to get the desired result.  This, for example,
doesn't work for me:

#+TBLNAME:  test-table
| key | value |
|-----+-------|
| a   | 1     |
| b   | 2     |

I'm testing to see whether
src_emacs-lisp{(org-table-eval-formula "remote(test-table @2$2)")}
works.

It throws an error during export, because I'm not in a table data field.

Additionally, if there's not already a built-in way to do this, I'd
nominate this functionality for some special syntax.  Following babel's
inlining and remote reference conventions, maybe

  table{test-table @2$2}

or

  <<test-table:@2$2>>

This would make it very easy to refer to specific elements the tabular
output of babel blocks, adding to the utility of babel as a
meta-programming language for org-mode.

Thanks for any help!
/au

--