[Orgmode] Re: .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice

From: Shelagh Manton
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: .ods opens file in Emacs, not OpenOffice
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:14:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:54:00 -0700, C64 Whiz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've searched for an answer but can't find a simple one.  I have an
> OpenOffice document (.ods) I'd like to link to in my .org files.  So I
> have the following syntax:
>
>   [[file:c:/mydata/myfile.ods][File Description]]
>
> When I click on the link in OrgMode, Emacs opens the file and not
> OpenOffice.  Yet, when I'm in file explorer (yes, Windows), double
> clicking the file does open up Open Office.  So I know the association
> is there.
>
> I know there is a variable called 'org-file-apps, but I thought the file
> system was supposed to handle any extension not known my OrgMode?  If I
> do need 'org-file-apps, please provide an example where I may *add* to
> the list rather then re-defining the existing list.  I'd hate to re-do
> "associations" OrgMode already made.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --C64Whiz
There are possible a couple of ways of dealing with this.

One that I have used in the past is to make a new link type and use that
for opening your .odt files

#+LINK: ooo shell:oowriter

and then use [[ooo:"/path/to/ooo-file" &][name of file]]

I have no doubt that there are other ways of doing this.

Shelagh