[Orgmode] lookup functions in spreadsheet/table

From: Neil Hepburn
Subject: [Orgmode] lookup functions in spreadsheet/table
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:06:49 -0600

Greetings

I am looking for a lookup function for tables in org-mode. In the past I have
used a spreadsheet to keep track of student grades and then had a table that
contained cut points and grades. Assigning grades was simple because the
formula would simply look up the student's grade in the cut points table and
assign the appropriate letter grade.  In Yicksel, also known as Excel, the
need to "tweak" my grade distribution to satisfy an anal retentive Registrar
type, I can do so by altering the cut points. Now that I am using org-mode and
emacs for everything else, thought it would be interesting to keep my grade
book in it too.

I've looked at the org-mode manual for the spreadsheet functions as well as
looked in the GNU Emacs Calc manual for such a function but to no avail. Does
such a function exist in org-mode?

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Hepburn, Economics Instructor
Department of Social Sciences, Augustana Faculty
University of Alberta
4901-46 Avenue
Camrose, Alberta  T4V 2R3

Phone (780) 679-1588
email address@hidden

No trees were harmed in creating this message. (However, millions of electrons
were terribly disturbed.)