[Orgmode] Re: OrgMobile - just a little help?

From: Richard Moreland
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: OrgMobile - just a little help?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 21:09:26 -0400

Hi Erwin,

On Jul 30, 2010, at 10:17 AM, Erwin Panen wrote:

> Also I have probably difficulty in understanding "stage" "staging" could you
> clarify this some more? When I read stage, I think of "on stage" or
> "back-stage" in terms of a theatre, should I think of staging org files as
> putting them on the "mobile iPhone stage"?

I think that would be fair to say.  The term staging made a bit more sense
before Dropbox support was added, since the files were typically "staged" in a
local directory then copied to your WebDAV server.

> Further to the app badge:
> Would this then show the number of changes like it shows on the Outlines icon
> or analoguous to e.g. the Mail icon in the iPhones dock?
> If yes, on what basis will synching happen.... ?

The badge will show the cumulate count of unsynced edit/new notes, so it will
be the sum of the red indicator badges that show up on the Outlines and Capture
buttons.  When you open the app and press sync, the badge will be cleared.

No background syncing happens at all, it is a manual process triggered by
pressing the 'Sync' icon on the main Outlines screen.

> I'm not sure if this is possible at all, but I think it would be extremely
> helpfull to kind of create a "PRE CONFIGURED" example setup, say in a
> temporary "LEARNING" directory, you could then perhaps fire up emacs using a
> pre-formatted .emacs file in conjunction with a free Dropbox account as an
> example.
> I know it's always easy on the other side to thinker this out, but probably
> this would not be so easy to do. Just my 2 cents of course.
> Or elaborate on the video...

This is a good idea, I need to make some better videos with instructions of how
to get going from the ground up.  I hope to do this soon.

> I'll try to digg a bit further in the functioning of from-mobile.org
> Is there a way to say ACCEPT a new note, and easily move it into the correct
> org file? A bit the way remember mode functions? Using templates the same way?

This would be interesting, but at present it doesn't do anything fancy.  The
idea is to use the refile mechanism and sort them after a pull.

-Richard