[Orgmode] [Babel] gnuplot, table entry and temporary file

From: d . tchin
Subject: [Orgmode] [Babel] gnuplot, table entry and temporary file
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:38:43 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

Before asking my question, I would like to give few remarks
about use of gnuplot with org-babel and the reason why I
asked this question.
I tried to use it with org-plot but I was not really satisfied
as it didn't work clearly well with emacs installed on MS Windows.

Below a thread about this problem :
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15036/focus=15032

Since gnuplot is available from Babel I tried to use to check
if I have less problem with MS Windows. If I used it with
session none and make a redirection to output file, it works
well for me.

Below an example the way I use it :

#+begin_src gnuplot :session none :file out.png
set terminal png
set xlabel "gx";set ylabel "gy";set zlabel "gz"
set grid xtics ytics
set view 0,0
plot cos(x)
#+end_src

#+results:
[[file:out.png]]

With org-plot it was possible to give a table in entry. Org-plot
was able to write temporary file that was used by gnuplot.

I haven't seen such a wrapped function for gnuplot use with babel
and I wonder if it is possible to pass a table in gnuplot
block that will create a generic tmpfile.dat used by gnuplot ?

Is there a elisp function that could be use to create such file
that could be used afterwards ?

Something that could look like this :

#+tblname: tablein
 |  A     |  B    |
 +--------+-------+
 | 257.72 | 21.39 |
 | 165.77 | 19.68 |
 |  71.00 | 11.50 |
 | 134.19 | 14.33 |
 | 257.56 | 17.67 |

#+lob: functiontowrite(table=tablein, filename="tmpfile_tablein.txt")

An then use tmpfile_tablein.txt in gnuplot block.

#+begin_src gnuplot :session none :file test.png
  set terminal png
  plot 'tmpfile_tablein.txt' us 1:2
#+end_src

Is there a tips that could be used to approach this way of doing ?