Re: [Orgmode] Re: question about chaining function calls in org-babel

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: question about chaining function calls in org-babel
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 20:41:01 -0400

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
> | mean   |
> |--------|
> | #ERROR |
> #+TBLFM: @2$1='(sbe "python-mean" (x (sbe "tbl-example-data" (seed 4) (size
> 16))))
>
> I *believe* that there is no expectation for this to work, because sbe
> is an elisp function (well, a macro), and not a source block. In other
> words, the first sbe is expecting a source block reference, whereas what
> it gets is this lisp form:
>
> (sbe "tbl-example-data" (seed 4) (size 16))
>
> My guess is that sbe does not undertake to evaluate a lisp form
> occurring in that context. But I admit that I still find these
> complicated macros more or less incomprehensible, so we could do with
> Eric's input here.

Dan is correct, the example above with nested calls to sbe will not
work, something like the following at least has the possibility of
working.

| mean   |
| #ERROR |
#+TBLFM: @2$1='(sbe "python-mean" (x "tbl-example-data(seed=4,size=6)"))

Unfortunately I don't have the time to test this right now.

Best -- Eric