Re: [Orgmode] Re: MathJax - use Tex/LaTeX/MathML in HTML pages

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: MathJax - use Tex/LaTeX/MathML in HTML pages
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:18:43 +0200

On Aug 4, 2010, at 6:24 AM, Bastien wrote:

Hi Dan,

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

It's quite convenient already (see below), so what exactly would the
option involve?  Can the javascript and fonts be located remotely?

From what I understand, no, the javascript and fonts have to be on the
server.

I just installed an instance on orgmode.org:

 http://orgmode.org/mathjax/test/

- Darlan Cavalcante has written a Worg article[1] on using jsMath with
 org
- Basically, to use jsMath all you need is

 #+style: <script src="/path/to/jsMath/easy/load.js"></script>

Great!  So to use mathjax on orgmode.org (Worg etc.) :

#+style: <script type="text/javascript" src="/mathjax/MathJax.js"></ script>

I just tried this:

#+style: <script type="text/javascript" src="http://orgmode.org/mathjax/MathJax.js "></script>

and it just worked, also with a remote server.....

Now, this is really really cool!  Wow.

Thanks to all for digging up this cool way of doing math in HTML.

- Carsten

- Mathjax was considerably slower to render the maths. (I think that
 under the hood it converts to mathML which jsMath does not do (?))

I'm not sure.  Maybe MathJax is faster once reasonably tweaked.

As I said the other day[2], one reason I am excited about these
technologies is that we can produce a pdf with pretty source code
fontification via htmlize (rather than ugly[3] latex listings output)
and genuine mathematical fonts rather than ugly dvipng images. I do this
via CUPS print to file under linux, which allows the web browser to
produce a .ps or .pdf. I'd be interested to know how we can make this a
more "genuine" org export path.

You mean org -> HTML -> ps?

Is it not possible to call firefox (or Xulrunner) in batch mode to
convert an HTML page into .ps?

If so, we can have two ways of producing org->pdf, one through LaTeX,
one through HTML...

--
Bastien