Re: [Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:23:32 -0400

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

> Some of the  original arguments, that these names would stick
> more easily and that it would make it easy for a hacker to
> find the command name for rebinding, these do not fly, I think.
> I don't think anyone calls Org commands with M-x, and if a
> hacker needs to find a command name, `C-h b' and in particular
> `C-h k' are the perfect ways to get to the names.
>
> I have put a version of the manual as modified by Andreas here:
>
>    http://orgmode.org/org-manual-with-command-names.pdf
>
> Not all the command names are in there, but quite a few are.
> I'd like to hear from more people
>
> - if they would like to have the names there (i.e. if it would
>   help them finding a command)
> - if the position (first thing in the command description)
>   is right, or if it would be better to have it
>      - last thing in the description
>      - or after the first sentence, this is how the GNUS manual
>        does it.
>
> Thanks to Andreas for his work so far, and please, let me
> hear more opinions.

I have wished for the command names to be in the manual before but
as you say, C-h k works (although sometimes after the C-h k, I find myself
saying "Oh, that one...", whereas I could have said that with a couple
of keystrokes less if the name were in the manual :) )

As for the position, spot-checking the emacs manual shows the command
name at the end of the first sentence in the key description and right
after the key sequence in running text. Here's an example of both
instances:

,----
| `C-d'
| `<DELETE>'
|      Delete next character (`delete-char').  If your keyboard has a
|      <DELETE> function key (usually located in the edit keypad), Emacs
|      binds it to `delete-char' as well.
|
| `<DEL>'
| `<BS>'
|      Delete previous character (`delete-backward-char').
|
| `M-\'
|      Delete spaces and tabs around point (`delete-horizontal-space').
|
| `M-<SPC>'
|      Delete spaces and tabs around point, leaving one space
|      (`just-one-space').
|
| `C-x C-o'
|      Delete blank lines around the current line (`delete-blank-lines').
|
| `M-^'
|      Join two lines by deleting the intervening newline, along with any
|      indentation following it (`delete-indentation').
|
|    The most basic delete commands are `C-d' (`delete-char') and <DEL>
| (`delete-backward-char').  `C-d' deletes the character after point, the
`----

I would vote for consistency above all.

I also think (in contrast to Andreas Burtzlaff) that this helps
newbies : I remember finding it very helpful when I first started
writing elisp. And I also remember the (momentary) annoyance I felt when
I was first reading the Org manual: I was used to the emacs manual
conventions and habits die hard!

My 2 cents,
Nick