[Orgmode] [babel] strategies for generating multiple graphics files from

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: [Orgmode] [babel] strategies for generating multiple graphics files from same code block
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:04:12 -0500

Hello,

I'm using org-mode to write R code and generate figures.

I have multiple files generated per code block, one png and one PDF.
This is so that I can display the graphic:

1) Inline in my org-mode buffer (png)
2) Upon export to HTML, viewable in the browser (png)
3) Included in a separate PDF, *not* from exporting my org-mode
file.  For this, I would like a PDF version of the graphic to be
generated, and pdflatex can use it (pdf)

So, for points 1 and 2 above, no problem.

* Figure 1
Here is the first figure.

#+begin_src R :file figure1.png :width 960 :exports both :tangle fig1.R
  plot(1,1)
#+end_src

For point 3, I use tangling to write the source code to a file. I notice that the graphical code is wrapped by the export process by a call to png() and dev.off().

My question, is there any facility to have the tangled code generate a PDF, instead of PNG? I still need the png for goals 1 and 2, but the pdf for goal 3. Anyone else have any other strategies for realizing all 3 of my goals?

I suppose one would be to define a named code block, and use the noweb syntax:

Define the plot
#+srcname: fig-test
#+begin_src R
  plot(1,1)
#+end_src

Tangle, but don't export
#+begin_src R :file figure1.pdf :exports none :tangle fig1.R :noweb yes
 <<fig-test>>
#+end_src

Export, but don't tangle
#+begin_src R :file figure1.png :exports both :noweb yes
 <<fig-test>>
#+end_src

This is not too bad, but maybe there's an alternative approach?

Thanks!
Erik Iverson