Re: [Orgmode] Re: Email from org?

From: David Maus
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: Email from org?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:03:55 +0200

Eric Schulte wrote:
>Hi Ethan,

>Ethan Ligon <address@hidden> writes:

>> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>> The following function might get part way towards what you describe.
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (defun org-send-email-of-headline ()
>>>   (interactive)
>>>   (let ((subject (org-get-heading t))
>>>         (to (org-entry-get (point) "mailto")))
>>>     (outline-mark-subtree)
>>>     (org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
>>>     (save-excursion
>>>       (message-goto-to) (insert to)
>>>       (message-goto-subject) (insert subject))))
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>>

>> Indeed!  This gets me very close to what I had in mind.  Aside from
>> saying thanks, I have two related things to say:
>>
>> 1) The code snippet above (really org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize)
>> produces output which is either designed to be further processed by
>> the mml library (mml-generate-mime) for gnus users or by the semi
>> library for wanderlust users.  Thus, the buffer resulting from the
>> above code-snippet is still one step away from being something one
>> could feed to smtpmail, and makes the output one needs to get from
>> org-mime dependent on an MUA (gnus or wanderlust).
>>

>I personally like this final step of review before sending an email.

>As for requiring that the user has an mailer with which to send the
>email, it would be possible to change `org-mime-org-buffer-htmlize' to
>use `reporter-submit-bug-report' to send the email directly instead of
>using `reporter-compose-outgoing' which only prepares the email buffer.

>I'm not sure of how to do this while still allowing the existing
>behavior for those who do use Emacs for email.  Also, I find the idea of
>having a key command send an email from an Org-mode buffer without any
>form of confirmation terrifying. :)

I see two problems here: First, adding attachments and/or using
digital encryption and signing.  Second, Messages you've sent this way
are not in your trusted messaging system.

>> 2) I don't see the reason for this dependence.  Forget what mail
>> client the user prefers, whether gnus or wanderlust or something else.

See above.  For me, WL is the tool to handle internet messages.  Org
is from this perspective a layer of abstraction: Org is my personal
realm, internet messages is the connection between me and the outside
world netwise.  Things that come to me are filted in WL, maybe go to
Org -- and things that are in Org are filtered by Org and might go
outside.  It's a important border and thus I strive to improve the
workflow between these two realms.

Best,
  -- David
--