Re: [Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: keys and command name info
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:30:43 +0200

Am 11.08.2010 12:05, schrieb Carsten Dominik:

On Aug 9, 2010, at 9:28 PM, Dan Davison wrote:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Andreas, org-mode developers,
* Andreas Burtzlaff <address@hidden> [09. Aug. 2010]:
I have put a version of the manual as modified by Andreas here:

http://orgmode.org/org-manual-with-command-names.pdf

Not all the command names are in there, but quite a few are.
I'd like to hear from more people

- if they would like to have the names there (i.e. if it would
help them finding a command)

I would like the command names in the manual.

- Emacs-lisp has a lovely tradition of naming functions *very*
descriptively and not being afraid to use long names in the interests
of accuracy. It's a shame to lose all that by displaying only key
sequences. It's a linguistic world of its own and I like being exposed
to it.
- While one can do C-h k, that's not the same as the way one learns the
function names by skimming the manual

Also, it does not add length to the HTML version of the manual, because
the key sequences are already on a line of their own. And the same is
true for a certain proportion of the pdf entries (when the key sequence
is long, then it seems to go on its own line).

- if the position (first thing in the command description)
is right, or if it would be better to have it
- last thing in the description
- or after the first sentence, this is how the GNUS manual
does it.

I definitely would want them out on a line of their own with the key
sequence. I liked the right-aligned model.

Or if not right-aligned, is it possible not to have the comma? Maybe a
different font?

I also like the position on the key line best. So if there is a
more-or-less
general agreement that we should get the names in, this would be my
preferred
location as well. I knot that this is different from what the emacs
and gnus manuals do - but I still think that a solution like this would
be better.

Andreas, can you be bothered to rework the patch?

Unfortunately I have no idea if/how the right-aligned model could be
made to
work. So I think the safest way to do this would be to introduce the macro,
and we can then work on the macro to get the formatting right, and also
to do the
key and function index stuff fully automatically.

Here is my proposal for now:

@macro orgcmd{key,command}
@kindex \key\
@findex \command\
@item \key\ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @r{(address@hidden)}
@end macro

And then define keys/commands like this:

@table @kbd
@address@hidden, org-cycle}
Here follows the description of the command
@end table

- Carsten

[ ... ]

Hi Carsten,

attached a sreenshot, how it comes out for C-c C-b.
Doesn't look ok for me, as back-tick and quote are uncommon that way.

Also diff for the code applied.

Andreas