[Orgmode] Re: Babel: interweaving code and results?

From: David Hajage
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Babel: interweaving code and results?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:57:28 +0200

exactly what I want! But an new option would be greater...

Yes, I know about :exports both, but if code and results are interleaved, I don't need to export the code (in my case). That's why I use :exports results.

Thank you very much for this.

David

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 16:49, Dan Davison <address@hidden> wrote:
Erik Iverson <address@hidden> writes:

> David,
>
> On 08/18/2010 08:09 AM, David Hajage wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am back with babel and R with a new question. Is it possible to
>> interweave each line of code with its results?
>>
>> An example to explain what I mean:
>>
>> #+SRCNAME: foo
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R :results output :exports results
>>    2+2
>>    3+3
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+results: foo
>> : [1] 4
>> : [1] 6
>>
>> When exporting (to html or latex), I would like to print what is going
>> on in the R console. So, I would like:
>>
>> #+results: foo
>> :> 2+2
>> : [1] 4
>> :> 3+3
>> : [1] 6
>>
>> Is it possible, or eventualy planned for the futur?

Hi David,

This is actually quite easy, although I don't think anyone's flagged
this possibility up: just do

(setq org-babel-R-command "R --silent --no-save")

(Our default is --slave --no-save) There's an example session below. By
the way, can I just check that you're aware of the ':exports both'
option? That's the canonical Org way of exporting both code and
results. It doesn't interleave them: it's more geared towards 'one code
block <-> one result'. But I understand that there may be situations
where interleaved is desired.

Erik -- You might well be right that we should add an :interleave option
to modify :results output like this.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
org-babel-R-command
#+end_src

#+results:
: R --slave --no-save

#+begin_src R :results output
2+2
3+3
#+end_src

#+results:
: [1] 4
: [1] 6

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq org-babel-R-command "R --silent --no-save")
#+end_src

#+results:
: R --silent --no-save

#+begin_src R :results output
2+2
3+3
#+end_src

#+results:
: > 2+2
: [1] 4
: > 3+3
: [1] 6
: >

[Maybe we can battle that trailing prompt character]

Dan