[Orgmode] Re: Request for opinions: [ANN] List improvement v.2o

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Request for opinions: [ANN] List improvement v.2o
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:56:54 +0200

Hello,

I introduced in this branch a new variable, namely
`org-list-ending-method', to allow fine-grained control on list
endings.

Here is its docstring:

  Determine where plain lists should end.

  Valid values are symbols 'regexp, 'indent or 'both.

  When set to 'regexp, Org will look into two variables,
  `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' and the more general
  `org-list-end-regexp', to know what will end lists. This is the
  default value.

  When set to 'indent, indentation of the last non-blank line will
  determine if point is in a list. If that line is less indented
  than the previous item in the section, if any, list has ended.

  When set to 'both, each of the preceding methods must confirm
  that point is in a list.

So, to sum it up, if you want to keep same behaviour as before, while
still having bug fixes and most improvements, there are two cases:

- if you had `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' to nil, you only
  need to set `org-list-ending-method' to 'indent.

- if you had `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists' to t, you need to
  keep it to t, and to set `org-list-ending-method' to 'both (because
  you still end your lists with indentation, but you allow a blank
  line, that is a regexp, to also end it).

My advice is still to keep 'regexp (default value) and end lists with
a well defined pattern, for two reasons:

1. It is faster. Indent method has to walk each line of the list to
   find its boundaries, while regexp method is a two searches trip,
   independently from the size of the list.

2. It is more consistent. With indent method, inserting a new line,
   indenting, then inserting some chars on the one hand, and inserting
   a new line, some chars, then indenting on the other hand won't give
   similar results at all.

But now, there is at least the opportunity to not follow my advice!

Regards,

-- Nicolas