Re: [Orgmode] Re: From state table to state diagram

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: From state table to state diagram
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:33:45 -0600

Babel does support generating diagrams with graphviz via "dot" code
blocks.  Babel is also capable of converting Org-mode tables to list
objects in a number of languages, so I'd recommend writing a table->dot
script in your favorite language, and then using babel to handle the
coordination and Org-mode integration.

I'm happy to help in this regard, the first step would be something like
the following example which assumes python is your preferred scripting
language (as you can see I have no idea what your state table may look
like)...

#+results: state-table
| 1 | 2 |
| 3 | 4 |

#+source: table-to-dot
#+begin_src python :var table=state-table
  python code here
#+end_src

#+begin_src dot :var text=table-to-dot(table=state-table)
  graph{
    $text
  }
#+end_src

Once this is working I think it could make a great addition to the
library of babel [1] (a collection of generally useful code blocks).

Cheers -- Eric

Gary <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
>> Sorry, that should have been graphviz... typing on a phone.  :-(
>
> :))
>
> Okay, thanks. I know about graphviz, but it is not really what I am
> looking for. Ideally I would create a state transition table and then
> just "magically" get a diagram as a by-product. I can definitely see
> that the DOT language might be a good target though - generating that
> from a table should be easier than generating a diagram directly.
>
> Well, maybe it's a bit specific and nobody has done anything so I should
> look into it on my own :)

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/library-of-babel.php