Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm T

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] org-mode on Nokia n800 - Was: Re: OT: orgmode on my palm TX?
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 11:17:26 +0100

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 10:46:23 +0200, Olivier Berger <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > I cannot help you directly with the Palm but, in case you wish to
> > consider a different little computer, the Nokia N810 (an internet
> > tablet, not a phone) does a good job of running Emacs in a phone sized
> > form factor (but with keyboard).  I was (and still am every now and
> > again) using this specifically for org-mode.
> >
> > The latest incarnation of this system (which started with the N770 and
> > progress through the N800 and N810) is the N900 which is now a phone
> > as well as an internet table.  This also, I'm told, runs Emacs.
>
> Great idea :-)
>
> Are there packages for nokia n800 running OS 2008 ? I happen to have one
> such device that could very well be used for this instead of collection
> dust ;)
>
> I've found a package for emacs 22
> (http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml)
> but that all seems old and requires dependencies on unabailable packages
> (libxaw).

These are a few links I collected when I got my n800:

*** nokia n800 emacs links                                            :nokia:

    - emacs on maemo ::
http://danielsz.freeshell.org/code/mine/emacs-for-maemo/index.shtml

    - installation of emacs22 ::
http://djcbflux.blogspot.com/2008/02/waiting-for-22.html

    - list of repositories ::
http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang=en&system=maemo4&sort=hits&show_pck=256

    [2009-06-28 Sun 16:27]

All the libraries for emacs are available but you do need to search
around.  You should check out the repository search site at
http://www.gronmayer.com/it/

> Also emacs 22 is a bit too old maybe ?

No, I don't believe so (but I'm Carsten will tell us otherwise) as I
believe that all coding takes into account the differences between 22
and 23.x.

> Any hints would be welcome.

I would look at maemo.org, especially talk.maemo.org which is a very
comprehensive forum and wiki.maemo.org.

I found the N800 very usable with emacs, especially for capturing org
notes, but eventually wanted an actual keyboard for using email
(wanderlust in Emacs) so I got an N810 as well.  Both worked very well
and I used one or the other daily until a couple of months ago when I
got myself an Android phone.  The phone is not as good for org [1]
but is much better for on-the-move email because of 3G+wifi versus
wifi alone.

Hope this helps!

eric

Footnotes:
[1]  yet: I'm hoping for MobileOrg for Android to
meet my needs eventually; I believe emacs is also possible for this
phone but I haven't tried yet

--
Eric S Fraga
GnuPG: 8F5C 279D 3907 E14A 5C29  570D C891 93D8 FFFC F67D