Re: [Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents - oops

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents - oops
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:12:24 -0500

Nick Dokos wrote:
Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

I have not followed this thread closely, so if the discussion ends
in something we should change in Org, please write to me and let me
know explicitly.

Thanks!

Erik Iverson might have a different take but my take is that there is
no major issue. Two minor issues:

One possible change to org is an addition to the documentation
recommending the texlive-fonts-extra package: it includes the cm-super
Type1 fonts - type1 fonts behave better with Evince (and possibly other
PDF viewers) than type3 fonts.

That would be my thought, too.  However, it appears that cm-super is
only "suggested" by texlive-fonts-extra, so in general
will not get installed with that package, unless you ask for
suggested packages also. (This is all Debian/Ubuntu by the way).

Both this system and MikTeX
offer cm-super as a standalone package, so perhaps just recommending
that package (cm-super) would suffice?  I confirmed that cm-super is
not one of the default MikTeX packages in a standard install, so
Windows users may benefit from this advice, too.

The other possible change that Erik identified is the deletion of the
t1enc package from the list of packages that org includes in exported
LaTeX by default. I haven't tried without it, but it does indeed seem to
be an obsolete remnant of times long past.

I have tried without it.  I was unable to to see any differences between
using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and adding the \usepackage{t1enc}
line. This makes sense given the FAQ answer below.

 The TeX FAQ
(http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=t1enc ) says:

,----
| Why use fontenc rather than t1enc?
| | In the very earliest days of LaTeX2e, the only way to use the T1
| encoding was t1enc; with the summer 1994 “production” release, the
| fontenc package appeared, and provided comprehensive support for use of
| the encoding.
| | Nevertheless, the t1enc package remains (as part of the LaTeX 2.09
| compatibility code), but it does very little: it merely selects font
| encoding T1, and leaves to the user the business of generating the
| character codes required.
| | Generating such character codes could be a simple matter, if the T1
| encoding matched any widely-supported encoding standard, since in that
| case, one might expect one’s keyboard to generate the character
| codes. However, the T1 encoding is a mix of several standard encodings,
| and includes code points in areas of the table which standard encodings
| specifically exclude, so no T1 keyboards have been (or ever will be)
| manufactured.
| | By contrast, the fontenc package generates the T1 code points from
| ordinary LaTeX commands (e.g., it generates the é character codepoint
| from the command \’e). So, unless you have program-generated T1 input,
| use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} rather than \usepackage{t1enc}.
`----

Nick