Re: [Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents - oops

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] a bit offtopic, fonts in exported PDF documents - oops
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:09:30 +0200

On Aug 31, 2010, at 8:51 AM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Nick Dokos wrote:

Erik Iverson <address@hidden> wrote:

That would be my thought, too. However, it appears that cm-super is
only "suggested" by texlive-fonts-extra, so in general
will not get installed with that package, unless you ask for
suggested packages also. (This is all Debian/Ubuntu by the way).

Right. I was wrong about texlive-fonts-extra: you need to install the
cm-super package to get the cm-super fonts. I am investigating the
various fonts right now and will update the org-dependencies.org =20
file on
Worg later on this week. We can also add a FAQ entry to point back to org-dependencies - that should take care of the documentation changes,
right?

I added a question to the FAQ with a pointer to a more extended (but still incomplete) discussion in org-dependencies. I'll try to add more information
to the table later on this week.

Thanks Nick!

- Carsten

Nick

Both this system and MikTeX
offer cm-super as a standalone package, so perhaps just recommending that package (cm-super) would suffice? I confirmed that cm-super is
not one of the default MikTeX packages in a standard install, so
Windows users may benefit from this advice, too.

Do windows users use evince? I'd think they mostly go with Acrobat =20
Reader,
in which case they should have no problems with Type3 fonts.

The other possible change that Erik identified is the deletion of =20=

the
t1enc package from the list of packages that org includes in =20
exported
LaTeX by default. I haven't tried without it, but it does indeed =20
seem to
be an obsolete remnant of times long past.

I have tried without it. I was unable to to see any differences =20
between
using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and adding the \usepackage{t1enc}
line. This makes sense given the FAQ answer below.

So getting rid of the \usepackage{t1enc} in org sounds like the right
thing to do (but including it does not hurt, so there is no urgency,
iiuc.)

OK, thanks to all of you - I have removed the t1enc entry now.

- Carsten

Nick

The TeX FAQ
(http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=3Dt1enc ) says:

,----
| Why use fontenc rather than t1enc?
| | In the very earliest days of LaTeX2e, the only way to use the T1 | encoding was t1enc; with the summer 1994 =93production=94 release, =
the
| fontenc package appeared, and provided comprehensive support for =20=

use of
| the encoding.
| | Nevertheless, the t1enc package remains (as part of the LaTeX
2.09
| compatibility code), but it does very little: it merely selects =20=

font
| encoding T1, and leaves to the user the business of generating the
| character codes required.
| | Generating such character codes could be a simple matter, if the
T1
| encoding matched any widely-supported encoding standard, since =20
in that
| case, one might expect one=92s keyboard to generate the character
| codes. However, the T1 encoding is a mix of several standard =20
encodings,
| and includes code points in areas of the table which standard =20
encodings
| specifically exclude, so no T1 keyboards have been (or ever will =20=

be)
| manufactured.
| | By contrast, the fontenc package generates the T1 code points
from
| ordinary LaTeX commands (e.g., it generates the =E9 character =20
codepoint
| from the command \=92e). So, unless you have program-generated T1 =20=

input,
| use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} rather than \usepackage{t1enc}.
`----

Nick

- Carsten