Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] some nasty bugs with PROPERTIES drawers

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [BUG] some nasty bugs with PROPERTIES drawers
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:28:31 +0200

On Aug 31, 2010, at 5:13 AM, Paul Sexton wrote:

There seems to be a fairly nasty bug caused by :PROPERTIES: drawers still
being recognised by org when they appear inside BEGIN_EXAMPLE or
BEGIN_SRC blocks. I encountered this behaviour while writing docs for
"org-drill". The doc file, README.org, contains quoted examples of org
"items", and also of an emacs lisp capture template containing the string
":PROPERTIES:".

The first thing I noticed was that PROPERTIES drawers inside EXAMPLE/ SRC
blocks appear *folded* when the file is opened in org mode, and
'org-cycle' toggles their folded status, as if they belonged to a
real org heading.

That is cosmetic, but I also encountered a more serious problem.
README.org contains the following block of example elisp code, which
is meant to illustrate an example setup of org-capture:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(setq org-capture-templates
      `(("u"
        "Task: Read this URL"
        entry
        (file+headline "tasks.org" "Articles To Read")
        ,(concat "* TODO Read article: '%:description'\nURL: %c\n\n")
        :empty-lines 1
        :immediate-finish t)

       ("w"
        "Capture web snippet"
        entry
        (file+headline "my-facts.org" "Inbox")
        ,(concat "* Fact: '%:description'        :"
                 (format "%s" org-drill-question-tag)
                 ":\n:PROPERTIES:\n:DATE_ADDED: %u\n:SOURCE_URL:
%c\n:END:\n\n%i\n%?\n")
        :empty-lines 1
        :immediate-finish t)
       ;; ...other capture templates...
   ))
#+END_EXAMPLE

Basically, every time I tried to export this file to HTML, Emacs would
become unresponsive (C-g did nothing) and would have to be killed with
the task manager (or xkill in Linux -- I tried on 2 systems).

After about 20 crashes and restarts of Emacs, I finally identified the
problem (I think). when I changed the above block from BEGIN_SRC to
BEGIN_EXAMPLE, the file exported correctly.

I think org was seeing the ":PROPERTIES" string within the elisp code
and trying to interpret it as the beginning of a drawer, with disastrous
results.

Once I managed to fix the problem for myself I did not investigate it
further. However I hope someone can fix it as it certainly caused a
stressful afternoon.

Paul

PS: I also realised that I was confused regarding how to get a syntax-
highlighted block of "example source code" into an org document, as
BEGIN_SRC appears to execute the code by default,

What???? I hope that this is not the case.  Maybe you have org-babel
set up in a way that the default action is to evaluate???

which was not what
I wanted. Should BEGIN_EXAMPLE take an argument which specifies syntax
highlighting (eg "BEGIN_EXAMPLE emacs-lisp")?

No, this is what begin_src is for.

one thing you should have done is to end begin_src with end_src, not end_example. That
may be part of the problem.  Can we see your babel setup, please?

- Carsten