Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] configuring LaTeX exports verbatim environment

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: [babel] configuring LaTeX exports verbatim environment for exported code and results
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:40:58 -0600

Hi Douglas,

Douglas Bates <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM, Douglas Bates <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have been unable to find in the documentation whether the verbatim
>> environment created by LaTeX exports of source code blocks can be
>> configured.

It is possible to export code using the LaTeX listings package.  See
`org-export-latex-listings'
,----

`----

>> Exporting to LaTeX a section like
[...]
>> Because both the source and the results are presented in verbatim, I
>> don't have much control over the appearance of the code on the slide.
>> If I could, for example, configure the names of the exported
>> environment for the source code and for the results separately, I
>> could use LaTeX's fancyvrb.sty to adjust font sizes, colors, boxes,
>> etc.

Listings gives good control over the look of code on a slide, I
generally use the following as my jumping off point for listings style
in Beamer presentations
#+begin_LaTeX
  \definecolor{dkgreen}{rgb}{0,0.5,0}
  \definecolor{dkred}{rgb}{0.5,0,0}
  \definecolor{gray}{rgb}{0.5,0.5,0.5}
  \lstset{basicstyle=\ttfamily\bfseries\footnotesize,
    morekeywords={virtualinvoke},
    keywordstyle=\color{blue},
    ndkeywordstyle=\color{red},
    commentstyle=\color{dkred},
    stringstyle=\color{dkgreen},
    numbers=left,
    numberstyle=\ttfamily\tiny\color{gray},
    stepnumber=1,
    numbersep=10pt,
    backgroundcolor=\color{white},
    tabsize=4,
    showspaces=false,
    showstringspaces=false,
    xleftmargin=.23in
  }
#+end_LaTeX

> I just realized that if the code and results are wrapped in other than
> the verbatim environment the org-beamer-fragile-re variable will need
> to be customized.

No, I believe this works with listings blocks out of the box.

> (By the way, automatically detecting the need for the fragile option
> is a great idea.)
>
>> Also, the blank lines before and after the verbatim environment are
>> problematic.  In plain text it makes sense to delimit code chunks with
>> blank lines but in LaTeX a blank line starts a new paragraph and you
>> don't always want that.

You can manually place the #+results line anywhere in the org-mode file
(even immediately after the code block), however it seems the blank
lines still appear in the exported tex file.  This appears to be an
issue with the LaTeX exporter in general rather than Code blocks in
particular.

>> As this is my first posting please let me know if I have
>>inadvertently violated conventions of the list.

Looks good to me.

Cheers -- Eric