Re: [Orgmode] Org now fontifies code blocks

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org now fontifies code blocks
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:04:50 -0500

Dan,

Thank you to David and yourself for this great feature.  I have
absolutely no opinion about the default on/off, except to say it
looks great on.

Is your TAB key patch[1] in master yet?

Dan Davison wrote:
I've just pushed changes which mean that Org now fontifies code in code
blocks. Currently, this is turned on by default, so it would be helpful
if people could report any problems, and opinions as to whether it
should be on or off by default.

To turn it off, use

(setq org-src-fontify-natively nil)

With it off, there are two functions for manually fontifying code
blocks: `org-src-fontify-block' and `org-src-fontify-buffer'.

With it on, on my netbook, there is a slight delay when typing in code
blocks of over 100 lines in length, and this is pronounced in code
blocks of several hundred lines.

Just to be clear, this is fontification only -- no other language major
mode features -- so the default method of editing code is still C-c '
(org-edit-src-code).

Thanks to David O'Toole for the original patch. The final version of the
patch is based on Carsten's suggestions for a more efficient
implementation.

Dan

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

Dan Davison <address@hidden> writes:

"David O'Toole" <address@hidden> writes:

I've got a preliminary patch that adds optional "native" fontification
for source blocks. It uses the block's declared mode to fontify the
block text. So now blocks look the way they should, and this opens the
way to further enhancements.
Hi David,

This is great! Here's a patch which allows the src blocks to have
switches and header args, and also uses `org-src-lang-modes' to find the
major mode.
I'm resending this as a match against the current master branch, and as
an attachment so that it goes into the patchwork system. I am keeping
this line of patches in branch `src-block-fontification' at
git://github.com/dandavison/org-devel.git

Dan