Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - b

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [babel] Error with source block and variable on export - bug?
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:05:24 -0600

Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/09/10 16:32, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> On 03/09/10 15:40, Eric Schulte wrote:
>>> Hi Rainer,
>>
>>> As part of the export process Org-mode copies the contents of the
>>> Org-mode file to a temporary buffer in which the business of exportation
>>> is performed.  This temporary buffer is not associated with any file so
>>> (buffer-file-name) returns nil, which is causing the problem you are
>>> experiencing.  I think the best solution would be to replace the call to
>>> (buffer-file-name) with the actual name of the file, e.g.
>>
>>> #+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision "~/src/babel-dev/scraps.org")
>>> :exports results
>>>   echo $file Revision
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> Hi Eric
>>
>> thanks a lot for the clarification - that makes perfect sense. I will do
>> as suggested.
>
> Thanks - it is working now.
> But it is a little bit awkward to have the file name (incl. path)
> somewhere in the document - can create some problems when renaming the
> file or saving it somewhere else).
> Is it possible to define it as a kind of variable (property?) in the
> headers of the file and reference it in the org file later?

Oh,

I've just remembered that during export Org-mode saves this file-name
information in the temporary variable `org-current-export-file'.

So the following will work, even though it relies upon undocumented
internals of Org-mode which could change at some point.

#+begin_src sh :var file=(vc-working-revision (or (buffer-file-name)
org-current-export-file)) :exports results
  echo $file Revision
#+end_src

Cheers -- Eric