Re: [Orgmode] how difficultwould it be to support zotero in org?

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] how difficultwould it be to support zotero in org?
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:12:10 +0100

Another Zotero + org user here.  Right now I do what Christian does: export Zotero to slightly tweaked BibTeX, and insert with RefTeX's amazingly cool reference-insertion interface (another genius piece of work by Carsten).  I can think of two profitable ways to make inserting references from one's Zotero database into org-mode notes better, and one further way that org-mode could be more tightly linked with Zotero.

1)  A utility (presumably part firefox plugin) which keeps a BibTeX file in sync with one of Zotero's collections.  That way you don't have to do a full manual export of your Zotero collection every time you add or change something.  RefTeX provides the citation insertion interface.  Something similar this to exists for LyX.  It doesn't sync a whole Z. collection, but creates a .bib file with the items you actually cite in your document.  The author (an Emacs user) even considered generalizing it for use without LyX runing, i.e. for Emacs, but didn't find enough steam (after all, he uses LyX).  (I also know that Mendeley can be made to auto-import from Zotero and to auto-export to BibTeX, but Mendeley's BibTeX export is not flexible.)

2)  a org-mode-specific plain-text citation mechanism, analogous to BibTeX, but useful for both LaTeX and non-LaTeX exports.  It would presumably have a CSL backend, and work the way that citeproc-hs works for pandoc.  Presumably it could also use a RefTeX-like interface for citation insertion.

3) Easier ways to take reading notes (in org) on items in the Zotero database, with two way linking.  (Thanks already for the tips in this thread.)

Scot