[Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using Org mode and the LaTeX isodoc clas

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using Org mode and the LaTeX isodoc class
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 00:16:33 +0530

Hi Sebastien

Tried out isodoc. I like it.

I only wish I had started out with this package rather than
scrlttr2.

The good thing about isodoc is that the default style of 'A simple
letter' in the document [1] is more closer to the convention that is
used here in India. Furthermore package seems 'very recent'.

With scrlttr2 [2], I had invested good amount of time reading through
the manual and tweaking DIN.lco to assigning From, To and Subject lines
to their 'rightful' place. I also felt that the default style was a bit
too gaudy for my taste.

I will have isodoc in mind when I get to work on a patch for letter
writing support in orgmode. The essentials for letter writing support
seem to be the same - setup key, value pairs (with key being a headline
and value being the body) and emit them in a way that is expected by the
underlying package.

I would like to hear why you chose to go down the tangling
path. Personally I feel any sort of markup (this includes babel
directives) distracting.

Btw, your approach set me thinking. I think there is a strong case for
making headlines act as babel srcnames with their body providing content
for noweb expansion [3]. This behaviour could be controlled by a buffer
local variable.

Wondering how babel treats srcnames? Can there be spaces? Is upper and
lower cases treated one and the same ...

Footnotes:

[1] http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/isodoc/isodoc.pdf
[2] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/28012

[3] It is likely the body of the headline might be run through a custom
    renderer (say latex, html or even emac's own comment-region) before
    finding it's way in to the document generated by tangle.

Thanks once again for referring me to isodoc.

Thanks,
Jambunathan K.

Sébastien Vauban <address@hidden>