[Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using Org mode and the LaTeX isodoc clas

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Composing letters using Org mode and the LaTeX isodoc class
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 13:45:23 +0200

Hi Eric,

"Eric Schulte" wrote:
> I look forward to any potential org->letter export this line of
> investigation yields.

As soon as this is closed, I'm willing to write a Worg page for this.

>> - because I had not the hope of being able to configure the LaTeX export
>> class
>>   and/or code in the right way,
>
> Hmm, I don't know how complex isodoc is to configure, but I'd think that
> defining a custom latex class would be simpler than tangling out LaTeX code
> blocks, however maybe this will change once I've looked at and understood an
> example application.

Isodoc is quite easy to configure, but it's through keyval mappings. I don't
know enough of Org to imagine being able to convert headings and contents to
keys and values, respectively...

That does not mean it really is difficult. Just for me, the only accessible
way remained the Babel route.

>> - because, in a way, that's quite logical. Here and there, you define
>>   stuff. At the end, you just arrange them all in a way that fits well the
>>   LaTeX class demands.
>>
>> Though, it's not just copying, the way Babel actually does with snippets of
>> code "à la Noweb". Hence, I really need at least the body to be in real Org
>> plain code, and be automatically converted to LaTeX, so that I can make use
>> of the tables, and all the Org markup.
>>
>> I'm sure Babel is able of that, mixing raw code with convertable code. Just
>> needs more thinking.
>
> I've just implemented export of org code blocks to ascii, latex or html,

This is brand new, right?  In any case, the real good solution to such a
problem, IMHO...

> so the following should now (if I understood) allow the tangling
> behavior you've described
>
> ** tangle org-mode block
> #+source: org-list
> #+begin_src org :results latex
>   - one
>   - two
>   - three
> #+end_src
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes :noweb yes
>   "
>   <<org-list()>>
>   "
> #+end_src
>
> tangles to
>

> "
> \begin{itemize}
> \item two
> \item three
> \end{itemize}
>

> "

Here, I just don't understand why you're choosing `emacs-lisp' as target
language for LaTeX code. Is there a reason for this, or just a typo?

> note that the () on the end of the code block name in the noweb syntax
> means to insert the results of evaluating the code block (in this case
> latex) rather than the body of the code block itself.

Understood!  Thanks.

FYI, I've git pulled once again 15 minutes ago (13:30 CET). My repo was
already up-to-date, but your code does not work for me...

_Nothing is tangled anymore_... Not even if I explicitly state
=:tangle "AA.tex"= for example (with and without quotes ;-)).

*Extract* of what should be tangled:

* Letter
#+begin_src latex :noweb yes :tangle yes
\documentclass[11pt]{isodoc}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\usepackage{isodoc-style}

\setupdocument{
    to = {%
          <<to()>>},
    subject = {<<subject()>>},
    opening = {<<opening()>>},
    closing = {<<closing()>>}
}

\begin{document}
\letter{%
<<body()>>
}
\end{document}
#+end_src

* tangle org-mode block

#+source: org-list
#+begin_src org :results latex
  - one
  - two
  - three
#+end_src

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes :noweb yes
  "
  <<org-list()>>
  "
#+end_src

Side note: I now have "my" green background for Org code (as in
http://www.mygooglest.com/sva/highlight-whole-ines.png), but I've lost all
fontification of source code blocks...

Thanks again and again.

Best regards,