[Orgmode] Re: Adding entries to Google calendar

From: Matt Price
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Adding entries to Google calendar
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:23:45 -0400

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Stephen Eglen <address@hidden> wrote:
that has been posted to gmane.emacs.orgmode as well.

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> - as I understand it this system will only work with entries that have
> been added via "i" in a calendar-mode org agenda view.  When I try to
> add items this way I am never prompted for a time, only a date.  Am I
> missing something here?

hi Matt,
Carsten accepted a patch of mine a while ago that allows you to do stuff
like the following from the agenda:

"i d RET 09:00-09:30 meeting with Joe"

and the time is extracted from the text you enter, if you set:

(setq org-agenda-insert-diary-extract-time t)

this is super, stephen thank you.
had some difficulties with google's timezone handling but those appear to be fixed now.  seems to be woring perfectly!

for a real two-way sync to work with this method, I think we need access to uid's of google calendar events.  If I read the documentation properly, the underlying gdata-python library doesn't support uid queries.  So I filed an enhancement bug:
http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/issues/detail?id=444&q=uid
maybe someone with a better coding sense can improve it; in any case, we can all follow its progress at that url.

matt

Stephen