[Orgmode] ical export -> google calendar woes

From: Neal Thomison
Subject: [Orgmode] ical export -> google calendar woes
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:23:41 -0400

All,

I'm experiencing one of those "the last 10% of the problem takes 90% of
the time" moments.

I'm doing a combined ical export over all of my .org files, which works
fine. I then copy the resulting .ics file off to my web server to which
I've pointed a Google calendar (an "add by url" calendar) which also
works, after a fashion. The irritation is that no matter what I try and
do, Google insists on seeing the calendar timezone as GMT, hence, all of
my appointments are appearing 4 hours early (my TZ is EST5EDT but EST or
"America/Indianapolis" or "America/Indiana/Indianapolis" all don't work
either). I've set 'org-icalendar-timezone' and I see X-WR-TIMEZONE set
correctly in the resulting .ics file.

As an experiment, I hand edited the exported .ics file and added a
"TZNAME: EST5EDT" before copying it up to my web server and it works
fine; my appointments are show at the correct times.

I've googled enough to know that there are fair number of people with a
lot of angst over the timezone support in gcal but this feels like a
much more pedestrian issue than what the bulk of those post are focusing
on.

Am I missing a config parameter somewhere? Do I need a special
incantation or naming convention when I do an "add by url"?

My setup is: emacs 24.0.50.2 and org-mode 7.01trans.

Thanks,
Neal