Re: [Orgmode] Re: bug with link following --- a (partial) solution

From: Robert Goldman
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: bug with link following --- a (partial) solution
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 21:36:29 -0500

On 9/12/10 Sep 12 -7:16 AM, David Maus wrote:
> Robert P. Goldman wrote:
>> On 8/29/10 Aug 29 -10:36 AM, Robert Goldman wrote:
>>> I used org-store-link and org-insert-link to make a link in the attached
>>> document (I distilled it down from a real document).  In my org-mode
>>> (pulled from git this morning), using Aquamacs 2.0 on Mac OSX Snow
>>> Leopard (10.6), org-mode cannot follow the link I inserted with o-i-l,
>>> and it pops up a dialog asking if I should add such a link target.
>
>> A quick followup:
>
>> I had a shot with git blame, and it seems like the only thing that might
>> have interfered with this search recently is the commit with the SHA1
>> has starting a84c8a2c
>
>> And, indeed, when I comment out the block that was introduced in this
>> commit (starting at line 9389):

>> Carsten, could this patch be reverted until it can be fixed?
>
> It's not a bug, it's a feature: To revert to the old behaviour you
> can customize the variable `org-link-search-must-match-exact-headline'
> and set it to nil.

I believe I have narrowed down the problem to a more specific case.

I have reexamined the bug I had, and as far as I can tell, it occurs
because of the punctuation at the end of the header line.  I am
attaching a file that shows the funny behavior.  I can link to a header
titled "Foobar" correctly, but not one titled "submit through submission
site:"  Attempts to link to the one word header "Bletch:" also fail.

I conjecture that the problem is the final ":" as punctuation.  Does
that seem plausible?  If so, should we simply extend the escaping in the
links to handle this case (akin to the way spaces are escaping)?  Or am
I off base here?