Re: [Orgmode] Bibtex and latex export

From: Erik Iverson
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Bibtex and latex export
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:48:14 -0500

Rafael,

I asked the same question last week :).

I've just now looked into the org-latex.el file, and found:

(defcustom org-latex-to-pdf-process
  '("pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f"
    "pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory %o %f")
  "Commands to process a LaTeX file to a PDF file.
This is a list of strings, each of them will be given to the shell
as a command.  %f in the command will be replaced by the full file name, %b
by the file base name (i.e. without extension) and %o by the base directory
of the file.
The reason why this is a list is that it usually takes several runs of
pdflatex, maybe mixed with a call to bibtex.  Org does not have a clever
mechanism to detect which of these commands have to be run to get to a stable
result, and it also does not do any error checking.

Alternatively, this may be a Lisp function that does the processing, so you
could use this to apply the machinery of AUCTeX or the Emacs LaTeX mode.
This function should accept the file name as its single argument."
  :group 'org-export-pdf
  :type '(choice (repeat :tag "Shell command sequence"
                  (string :tag "Shell command"))
                 (function)))

Looks like you can just customize that variable, easy!

--Erik

Rafael Calsaverini wrote:
Hi there, I'm trying to use org-mode to compose latex documents and I'm having a problem with bibtex. When I export to pdf with C-c C-e p, pdflatex runs and everything works gracefully with respect to the latex code (the output is even prettier than I used to have patience to do only with latex), but bibtex isn't called. I've tried to fiddle with org-exp-bibtex, which is nice, but apparently it don't call bibtex either. I've tried to edit the function that calls pdflatex to include a call to bibtex, but to be honest I know zero about lisp, so I couldn't even edit a simple list of commands. :P (I must be the only emacs user in the world that can't write or read lisp... it would be swell if I could use haskell to extend emacs instead of lisp :P). How should I go about automatically including a call to bibtex whenever I want to export my org document as a pdf?

Thanks for your time, and sorry to bore you with simple questions...
---
Rafael Calsaverini
Dep. de Física Geral, Sala 336
Instituto de Física - Universidade de São Paulo

address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>
http://stoa.usp.br/calsaverini/weblog
CEL: (11) 7525-6222
USP: (11) 3091-6803