Re: [Orgmode] [bug] "message" not present in default value of org-link-t

From: Jules Bean
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [bug] "message" not present in default value of org-link-types
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:29:24 +0100

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 09:08:00AM +0200, David Maus wrote:
> >Manually adding it to org-link-types makes it work correctly. For me,
> >anyway.
>
> True enough.  But what is a "message:" link?  Can you give an example
> of its usage?

message:<address@hidden>

or

message://<address@hidden>

(I'm not sure which is technically correct, they both work here)

is a link, by message-id, to the email I'm replying to.

My hazy memory says this URL schema originates in the first version of
netscape which supported mail+news, it enabled you to link directly to
a particular message (in an email folder or a newsgroup). It was also
how netscape "implemented" the In-Reply-To and References headers,
which were clickable and took you to the messages concerned.

I can't substantiate that memory, though. The only references I find
on the internet are to OSX Leopard and Apple Mail (which does happen
to be what I'm using it with).

Wikipedia thinks that the correct IANA form is 'mid:', but that
doesn't actually work on my system.

Jules