Re: [Orgmode] Org, org-plot, and babel+gnuplot on Windows

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Org, org-plot, and babel+gnuplot on Windows
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:26:54 -0500

Thanks, Eric.

As an update for everyone, Bruce Ravel, the author of gnuplot-mode wrote to me with this:

------
Hi John,

Sorry for the slow response.  I have been taking some vacation time
recently.

You are not the only one to bring this up recently.  It clearly needs
resolution.  Alas, I have not done much with gnuplot-mode in quite a
while -- that's the problem with code that basically works ;-)  Also,
I spend very little time using windows machines for much of anything,
much less my plotting needs.

Once upon a time, the version of gnuplot that emulated a pipe -- I
think it is called pgnuplot.exe -- worked well with gnuplot-mode.  I
guess that you are saying that is not the case anymore.

So, I agree that this needs to be addressed, but it is hard for me to
make a promise as to the time scale.  Any advice or input that you
might have would be very welcome.

------

I responded with an open invitation for him to let me know what I can do to provide him with the information he needs to troubleshoot. I started by changing my commands to use pgnuplot.exe instead of [w]gnuplot.exe and described the result. With my limited elisp knowledge and how any of this stuff is actually working, I expressed that I probably can't troubleshoot on my own but would be happy to do the "grunt" work of having him tell me what to run and then send him back error messages or whatever else. This was earlier this week and I haven't heard since, but the fact that such a busy person even responded at all is phenomenal. He seems quite willing to help rectify this so hopefully I can help.

Any suggestions are welcome. I'll try and keep posting updates.

Best regards,
John