Re: [Orgmode] [Bug] Level 2 text not exported in LaTeX (well in HTML) +

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] [Bug] Level 2 text not exported in LaTeX (well in HTML) + some comments
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 11:24:09 +0200

> So you are saying, if I understand you correctly, that you cannot
> have something like this:

> 1. some text
>    - a nested list
>    - with two items
>    some more text for the first numbered item
>    - another nested list - with two items
> 2. the second outer list item

Exactly.

> If so, why not? This would seem to be quite a likely and useful
> scenario.

It would require a slightly different model with an added depth of
complexity. To tell the truth, I had looked into this, but hadn't
found a satisfying (clean) solution.

For example, how should Org handle indentation of such a line, or any
line within the list? Should it "round" the indentation to the closest
level of a sub-list? And if you add a new line, should the user insert
spaces to reach the desired level of sub-list, or should Org TAB-cycle
indentation through every level of the list? Wouldn't this be painful
on deeply nested lists? If the list is so long that you can't display
it's first items, what happens when you want to end the 4th of 6
sub-lists? Could you remember what proper indentation is needed?

Those questions are more rhetorical than anything else. My point is
just that this kind of scenario, while certainly doable, would need
more thought, and much more work to implement. Is it _that_ useful?

> I do this all the time in latex and I was sure that I had done this
> before in org. Is my recollection wrong? Was this not possible
> before?

As far as I remember, LaTeX exporter has never been able to parse
this, though the HTML one did.

Note that a TAB on your line of text was (i.e. in the latest stable
release) indenting it past the second nested list item. That signifies
even Org wasn't understanding properly the meaning of your list.

Regards,

-- Nicolas