Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel - utility to ease chopping src chunks into s

From: Christian Moe
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Re: org-babel - utility to ease chopping src chunks into smaller org entries
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 16:35:20 +0200

Hi Eric,

Great, thanks.

Christian

On 9/21/10 3:04 PM, Eric Schulte wrote:
Hi Christian,

I agree generalizing this function over all block types would be very
useful.  When I find the time I will make this change.

Thanks -- Eric

Christian Moe<address@hidden>  writes:

Hi,

I'm late to this discussion, but just a lateral thought:

Would you consider rewriting this as `org-demarcate-block' or similar,
to operate on all #+begin_...end blocks, not just src?

If generalized this function could be equally useful for non-src
blocks as well. Example blocks come immediately to mind, but there are
non-coding applications too.

For instance, I store many notes with quotes from various texts,
sometimes in fairly long =#+begin_quote= blocks, which I then need to
split up when I want to write an extended discussion of a passage,
quoting a few lines at a time.

For those who use verse blocks (I all too seldom have the need...), it
may be even more useful.

For personal use, I already have a little org-insert-block utility
function to insert/wrap [q]uote, [s]rc, e[x]ample, [v]erse or [o]ther
blocks at a keystroke. This works for me since I use at least the
first two more or less equally often. A generalized demarcate-block
function would be a nice complement.

Yours,
CM

I've just added this to the org-mode repo.

Not in the babel key map - in the org key map (I use it most in normal
non src org entries to mark a block of elisp as src for samples/examples).

For now it still lives in the babel keymap behind (C-c C-v d) since it
is fundamentally code-block related,

For me, "fundamentally code-block related", in the absence of
execution-related functionality, points to org-src.el rather than
org-babel, so I suggest naming this function
org-src-demarcate-block. The babel keymap is still a good place for a
binding -- I think it's reasonable for the babel keymap to accomodate
pure code block stuff in addition to execution/tangling stuff.

Dan