[Orgmode] Re: Request for suggestions about best practices: tracking res

From: Robert P. Goldman
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Request for suggestions about best practices: tracking responses
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:53:32 -0500

On 9/22/10 Sep 22 -3:08 PM, Sébastien Vauban wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Robert Goldman wrote:
>> Often now I have org-mode tasks that I move to WAIT status when I send
>> someone an email to get some next step done.
>
> I do that as well. Though, I'm still testing what my own process must be like.
>

>> The problem is that I have a hard time getting back to those tasks when
>> I get a response email (or phone call).
>>
>> There is nothing salient about these that means that when I get a
>> response email, I see the task and can mark it as completed.
>>
>> Does anyone have a good solution for this?
>>
>> I have a hazy idea that always having a special agenda window open with
>> a special agenda display of tasks awaiting responses might do the trick,
>> but few ideas about how to accomplish this in practice.  Presumably a
>> special TODO status for awaiting response, and special agenda view...
>> does that sound reasonable?  I notice that the manual refers to "THE
>> agenda."  Is it possible to have multiple agenda windows so that I could
>> always have the "waiting for response" agenda up w/o cutting off my
>> access to other views?
>
> As far as I fully understand your request, what you need is a custom agenda
> report:

> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("W" "Waiting"
>          todo "WAIT" nil)))
> #+END_SRC

I know how to make a custom agenda for this; the problem is more how to
have that custom agenda always open for me to glance at.  I don't want
to have to call up this agenda every time I get an email or a phone call
to decide whether a waiting task is "unwaiting"...

Should one open an org agenda buffer, and then rename it, so that
following org-agenda commands don't wipe it?

thanks,