[Orgmode] Re: Org-mode screencasts

From: Jeff Kowalczyk
Subject: [Orgmode] Re: Org-mode screencasts
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:41:36 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Abrahamsen <eric <at> ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

> One thing that would be really excellent is to show keystrokes as you do
> the tutorial. I don't know what system you're using, but this link:
>
> http://screencasters.heathenx.org/blog/2009/04/06/smaller-key-status-monitor/
>

> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> mwe-log-commands may be particularly useful for an emacs related
> screencast http://www.foldr.org/~michaelw/emacs/mwe-log-commands.el

It would be extremely nice for screencasting Emacs to have a configurable input
and prompt display similar to the calc trail.

Wish list:

- stack view of the keystream from view-lossage
- annotations (i.e. an overlay) when a binding dispatches a command
  using the mechanism from mwe-log-commands.
- annotations of minibuffer prompts
- annotations of keybinding hints

The view-lossage stream doesn't use the format one would want for user
documentation:

Something like the following would be more like documentation:

C-x b [switch-to-buffer]
f o o RET [minibuffer input]
RET [minibuffer prompt confirm]
[visiting buffer] foo
M-x [<menu>]
v i e w - l o s s a g e RET [minibuffer input]
[visiting buffer] *Help*

The parts in [brackets] are intended to indicate some kind of face overlay. As
uncolored plaintext the information is just distracting.

Another tool, http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ScreencastMode has good ideas for
keybinding hints and one-key stepthrough. I don't think the typed-text narration
style is a good fit for these particular screencasts and their target audience,
however.

Jeff